Sunday, February 12, 2017

Politely I Smiled

Coming up this week: A criminal justice event on Racial Justice & Policing, and sit down with Orange County Probation, a lecture on jails and detention centers, a counseling appointment, two days off of school, and an interview with a Spanish speaker. Life is a highway, and apparently, I drive it all day long! LOL! Yes! This week is going to be busy, busy, busy and of course I have grand plans to meal prep, remember what I walked in the room for, and grade all the assignments that are due this week.

In the meantime, I enjoy a nice cup of tea. It has been my solace as I navigate a world that I recognize fully. I’m smiling to myself now as I think about how it doesn’t matter who the President is … I am still a woman and I am still Black. Actually, one of my students challenged me and asked, “how do you know that you have been discriminated against?” … politely I smiled and said, “it’s a lot like, you voted and the candidate that you voted for didn’t win and now you’re in the streets protesting that your voice was not heard … well, it’s just like that, except my candidate never wins”. It’s hard to discuss race relations with anyone. However, my students are an amazing bunch of people and when I see them on campus, interacting with each other and sharing their current experience, going to college. I see hope.

It’s a holding on hope.  Hope that makes a difference when I’m minding my own business while someone holds their purse a little tighter or makes sure that they clear a path so we don’t brush against each other or gasps in disbelief that I am a professor at a university. Yeah, the hope they give me is a holding hope. A hope that one day it will no longer matter that I am a woman and I am Black.

Oh there I go! Getting all deep. This was supposed to stay light, airy, and bright but oh, it was on my mind. … Okay, next week, I’m looking for some adventure! Hope is what I have to find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year, Until Not

On Wednesday, I slept in late because my allergies were flaring up. Still, I was excited because I was about to relaunch my blog, ready to c...