Tuesday, March 14, 2017

It Really Is About Perspective

So here I was, groveling over my missed deadline of my submission to my blog. All upset over the fact that” I can’t stay consistent” and “why do I even try” popped up. Then it happened.

I woke up on Monday feeling like I could get things done despite my deadline miss … and as the day went on, the deadline missed moved to the back burner to sit and wait its return. The day was absolutely beautiful and productive. I settled into getting grades done, lectures updated, and office visits checked off. I was happy to track all my food and water intake. I even took a walk when my Fitbit told me too, which is great because I usually never listen. Yes, I was on point, feeling strong and productive.

My alarm went off. Time to head to class. It’s a hot day here in SoCal and all the students are displaying sings of an early summer. Tank tops and shorts for everyone. I make my usual eye contact, topped with a smile, as I pass each student wondering what class they are off too. I hit the unusual doorway for my class and I am greeted by one of my students who was waiting for me outside before class … and it happened, all the strength and productivity I had was needed.

I stood and listened as one of my students told me that he had cancer and would need to drop the class. Shock. Sorrow. Fear. Compassion. All covered me from head to toe. You’re not supposed to hug your students, it’s a Title IX violation but I did. His tears were almost the death of me, as I thought about his family and what they could be going through. He apologized for the inconvenience. What, what?! I don’t think so. I’m thinking this is the most awful thing that could happen to someone and he sure in the hell didn’t need to apologize for having to drop my class! Devastated. I hugged him again and told him to be strong and fight, fight, fight. I am absolutely praying for him and his family, especially his mom.

So now, it’s Tuesday and I am thinking back on the news. Here was my student, twenty years old in the fight of his life and I was down and out over a missed deadline for something that’s not really that important. It’s a missed deadline, DAMN! Move on! Enjoy every moment you have to love, give, smile, hope, pray, teach, cry, be, live, and know that not all deadlines are created equal. There are so many things that I have gained from this news, so many perspectives. The one that I walk away with, the one that helps my broken heart, he shared the news with me, in person. … Yep, my perspective gets an added view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year, Until Not

On Wednesday, I slept in late because my allergies were flaring up. Still, I was excited because I was about to relaunch my blog, ready to c...